Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Are You Creating an “Aha Moment” with Your Customers?



No doubt you’ve heard of the “aha moment” – when something happens that makes you think “so that's what it's all about.” One of my “aha moments” was when I started working with a new client called Dry Greening – a reusable dry cleaning bag that is both a tote for dropping off your dirty clothes at the cleaners and a hanging garment bag for the clean clothes you pick up from the cleaners.

A 100 percent recyclable bag, Dry Greening eliminates all those plastic dry cleaning bags that end up in the trash. Needless to say, I was inspired. Then I learned the bag was created by a stay-at-home mom who wanted to help the environment. I was impressed. Next, I found out Dry Greening was going to be the official “swag bag” for an Oscar after-party at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. Now I was ecstatic.

The Academy Awards plus helping the environment? I was in PR heaven. Here was a product that needed to be shared with the world. So we issued a “search-engine optimized” press release over the newswire, contacted local and national news outlets and sent bags with personal notes (who does that anymore? Us!) to the media – lots and lots of bags. Plus, we believed so much in the product we told everyone we knew about it – friends, neighbors, colleagues, etc.

The results?
More than 2,000 reads of the press release on PRWeb
A 300 percent increase in web hits
International, national and local media exposure (from Googlenews.com to Entrepreneur.com)
Consumer and trade press coverage (from Family Circle to American DryCleaner)
Calvin Klein™ called the company’s founder about a partnership (!)
Direct sales from PR efforts -- while our goal was to create exposure, it’s always nice to know consumers bought bags based on specific stories we placed.

I truly believe a big reason for the success of this PR campaign had to do with the “aha moment” media and consumers felt when they heard about the product. Reporters felt good writing about it and consumers/dry cleaners felt good buying the bag.

Now if you’re wondering “how can I create an ‘aha moment’ with my customers?” and are finding yourself stumped then contact us. You’d be surprised how one person’s “aha moment” can have a ripple effect on your company.

For example, after I started using Dry Greening I wondered ‘what other items could have a positive impact on my life?’ First, Costco reusable shopping bags; next, reusable water bottles for work; and finally, a bike. Instead of driving to work, I could bike weather permitting. Of course the bike purchase led to a helmet, basket, lock and pant guard. And now I think I need new casual clothes for biking.

No one said “aha moments” were cheap. But I don’t mind because it’s worth it for me to realize ‘this is what it’s all about.’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is a cool post on the "aha moment". Wonder if you'd be interested in coming to our site, ahamoment.com and sharing. it was created by Mutual of Omaha and is where people post aha moments of their own, hoping to inspire or motivate or just celebrate big or small insights.

hope to see you there.

thanks

Cam
cam@ahamoment.com